That Munkified Blog

Monday, February 26, 2007

Chinese new year celebrations

It was chinese new year celebrations over the last weekend, and I got a total of $150 from the ang baos. The first day of celebrations always start with my neighbours coming over to exchange mandarin oranges and giving ang baos. After that, we will go to my grandma's(my father's side) house for a lunch, and dinner will be held at my house, with my uncles and po-po(my mother's side) coming over. Every Chinese new year, when my uncles and popo come over to my house, we will always gamble a bit.

The game is played with poker cards, everyone will put $2 in the middle of the table first, then everyone will get three cards, picture cards count as 0, add up all the number cards and that's your number (but the tens does not count, eg. you get 21 by adding up the numbers, take away the tens, and you are left with 1, the smallest number) The biggest is three picture cards, second biggest is 10.

The first day I lost a total of $12, having won $20 plus at first, but as more people joined in, my luck starts to lose out. Still, no worry, there is always a part 2 at my po-po's house at the second day of every chinese new year. Wanting to get my loss back, I wore the underwear with the colour green, which is said to be a lucky colour for all borned in the year of monkey, while my uncles wore red underwears. After lunch (plazas and KFC), it's gamble time again, and I earned my loss back and earned $8, having got three picture cards in a round which everyone putted in $4. Here's some photos that we took at my po-po's house.


Uncle Yeow with his wife and two son, and po-poMy mum and my dad~

I realised some of my friends have to go to malaysia to visit family members there, so there's some laws of malaysia that I think you should know or you might get fined on chinese new year.
1. Don't wear mini-skirts
I heard the news saying that a certain state in malaysia bans the people from wearing mini-skirts, I don't know what for, but still, be careful or you might get fined or jailed on chinese new year.
2. Don't cycle without wearing shoes
I read from the newspaper that people in malaysia gets fined for cycling without shoes.
3. If you forgot the number for a fast food delivery, and you are expecting to see the commercial on TV, forget it.
The Malaysia government is considering to ban fast food commercials, as more and more people are becoming overweight in malaysia, but I think other than fast food, there is much more other things than can cause people to be overweight. Maybe they can consider making everyone in malaysia vegetarians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home